How could you help hedgehogs?
Enter our Valentine Card competition
– then send the card to someone who could act
How do you enter?
Create an original design in any medium – paint, collage, crayon, etc. on a card (maximum size A4). The card should be a folded sheet of paper/card with a design on the front and a message inside which includes a request to help hedgehogs. Please put your name, email/phone number and age on the back of the card.
If you were told about this competition by a school/group, please return your entry to them. Otherwise you can hand in your card at Penistone Library by Friday 5th February. If you are a school/group and have entries to be collected, please email email@example.com
Judging and the ‘Love Hedgehogs’ launch
The cards will be judged and prizes awarded at our Hogwatch Day on 6th February at St Andrew‘s Church, Penistone from 11:30-1pm. There will also be a certificate for every entrant.
At the launch, there will be a chance to look at our hedgehog survey tunnels and book one for your garden, do hedgehog quizzes and puzzles, find out how to help hedgehogs in your garden, eat a tasty hedgehog snack and much more. You will also be able to see where hedgehogs were spotted last year and find out what we are planning next. Children need to come with an adult.
You can collect your card at the end of the launch event or from Penistone library later that week, to send out in time for Valentine’s Day. Alternatively, if you include an SAE we can post it to someone for you.
What can you ask someone to do to help hedgehogs?
- To report hedgehog sightings at www.ourhogwatch.org.uk
- To become a watcher at www.ourhogwatch.org.uk
- To create wild areas for hedgehogs
- To make sure they can get into the garden – make a tunnel or a gap in the fence
- Make log piles, compost heaps, hedges and untidy corners
- Not to spray pesticides or put down slug pellets
- More ideas on our hedgehog pages
Who will you send the card to?
Think carefully what you could ask each person to do:
– Grandma, mum, dad, neighbour, friend
– Steve Houghton, Council Leader, Barnsley MBC, PO Box 634, BARNSLEY, S70 9GG
– Your school caretaker or groundsman
– Chair of the governors at your school
Any questions email firstname.lastname@example.org